Friday, November 27, 2015

98. The Bulls of Bashan

Psalm 22


Some Bible scholars insist that this psalm in no way applies to David but, rather, that David, when he wrote it, was speaking prophetically of Christ's crucifixion.  If it does apply to David, some of the situations mentioned could be taken literally, but if the whole psalm applies only to Christ this psalm must be seen as being loaded down with similes and metaphors.  Can we imagine Christ uttering this, hard to accept, statement, But I am a worm, and no man; 22:6.

Many bulls have circled around Me; strong bulls Of Bashan have surrounded Me. 22:12.  Who will hear the soft calling of "The Lamb" among the roaring clamour of the bulls Of Bashan, for exampleNorth America's world of entertainment?

They opened wide their mouths on Me, like a ripping and a roaring lion. 22:13.

I am poured out like water, and all My bones are spread apart; My heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of My bowels. 22:14.  Totally, physically exhausted.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws; v.15.  Some apply this to the time when Christ while hanging on the cross, said, I thirst. John 19:28   

For dogs have circled around Me. Psalm 22:16.   The Jews had this "endearing way" of calling non-Jews, "dogs".   This phrase is sometimes referenced to the crucifixion when Christ was encircled by Gentiles. 

Deliver My soul (life) from the sword, My only one from the dog's hand. 22:20.  Deliver my soul, my only life.  Holy Father, please protect my soul from those that would seek my eternal destruction!

Save Me from the lion's mouth.
 22:21.  This is certainly a prayer for all of us, but, at the same time, not forgetting that St. Peter put the onus on us.  Be sensible and vigilant, because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking someone he may devour.  1 Peter 5:8.

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? 

Even if this whole psalm was written as a prayer by David, for himself, it is not surprising that Christ, on the cross, used these words in His hour of deepest need.  He knew the Jewish Bible, which, of course, includes the psalms; He had preached from it for about three and a half years and we should not wonder that He, while He was on the cross, having trusted for, a last moment, miraculous rescue from death, would cry out, My God, my God, why have You forsaken me.

Still, There is Hope for Deliverance


W
hy are You far from my deliverance, and from the words of my groaning?  Now that everything looks lost he cries out, Why have You closed your ears to by earnest prayers?

But You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. Our fathers trusted in You; they trusted, and You delivered them.  

Whatever happens to me now, Lord, You are holy, You are uplifted by the praises of your children.  But, could I remind You that in the past our fathers trusted, and You delivered them.  Why doesn't that deliverance work for me now?  Psalm 22:1-3.

All who see Me (at Calvary) mock me; they shoot out the lip (open wide their mouths); they shake the head, saying, He trusted on Jehovah; let Him deliver Him; let Him rescue Him, since He delights in Him! Psalm 22:7-8.  This psalm continues to fit the horrendous emotional situation of Christ while he was suspended on the cross.

The Jewish elders tauntingly repeated the words of the psalmist, He trusted in God, let Him deliver Him now, if He will have Him. Mat. 27:43.

It is one of the most remarkable instances of blindness and infatuation that has ever occurred in the world, that the Jews should have used this language in taunting the dying Redeemer, without even suspecting that they were fulfilling the prophecies, ... at the very time when they were reviling him that he was the true Messiah. Barnes.

We end the 22 Psalm with this prayer:


Dearest Lord, give me so to meditate on these things, until I feel my whole soul going forth in all that love and affection which thy people participate, who know thee in the power of thy resurrection, and in the fellowship of thy sufferings. Hawker's Commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment