Friday, November 6, 2015

94.Give Jehovah a Righteous life

Psalm 3


A Psalm of David, when he fled from his son Absalom. 
O Lord, how my foes have increased! Many are the ones who rise up against me. 3:1

In many of the older versions of the Bible, this verse is treated as two verses so that the psalm actually has nine verses rather than the eight that many new versions have. 

The history behind this psalm is portrayed in the post on April 17, 2015.

Civil War in The Promised Land, http://spaceshiptheology.blogspot.com/2015/04/64-civil-war-in-promised-land.html

The third psalm was composed, or at least the substance of it was meditated and digested in David's thought, and offered up to God, when he fled from Absalom his son, who formed a conspiracy against him, to take away, not his crown only, but his life; we have the story, 2 Sam. 15. Matthew Henry.


And the conspiracy was strong; for the people increased continually with Absalom. 2 Sam. 15:12.

LORD, how many are mine adversaries become! Many are they that rise up against me. Psalm 3:1 Jewish Publication Bible Society.

Psalm 4


Tremble, and sin not; speak within your own heart on your bed and be still. Selah.  Psalm 4:4  

In place of the word tremble the KJV and some others have, stand in awe.  A more significant change is found in some other translations where they use words similar to this: Be moved with anger.

and sin not; If one is so angry that one shakes (tremble's) in anger, the psalmist says, before you do or say anything that you might regret, first think about it overnight and be still (calm yourself).

Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and trust in Jehovah. 4:5.  There are many things that we would rather offer to our LORD than the sacrifice of a holy life. 

Living a righteous life cuts into our pleasures; it takes from us the opportunity to do those forbidden things we want to do but we know we shouldn't; Jehovah expects nothing less than a pure life!

Psalm 7


A song of David, which he sang to Jehovah on (concerning) the words of Cush the Benjamite. 7:1.

The title of this psalm seems to intimate that the occasion of this Psalm was some event in David’s persecution by Saul. Jamieson, Fausset and Brown.  In our study of 1 Samuel we learned that King Saul was the son of Kish a Benjamite.  Saul is meant, and that he is called "Cush," with allusion to his father’s name being Kish. Such plays upon words have always found much favour in the East. Fausset's Bible Dictionary.

Cush or, the Ethiopian, expresses one black at heart. ... David ... alludes to Saul's gratuitous enmity and his own sparing "him that without cause is mine enemy," namely, in the cave at Engedi, when Saul was in his power (1 Samuel 24). Fausset's commentary.

O Jehovah my God, ... if there is iniquity in my hands; if I have rewarded evil to my friend.  Psalm 7:5.

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I offend some other through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!  

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me, and my keeper be.
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have wounded any soul today.  Author: C. M. Battersby


Judge me, O Jehovah, according to my righteousness, and according to my integrity on me. Psalm 7:8.

O Jehovah, I know I am guilty of many sins and shortcomings, but, O, my Father, in this case regarding Saul I am innocent of any evil intent or action.  Please judge me with that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment