Friday, October 2, 2015

89. Skin in Exchange for Skin


Now let's look at some individual statements in the Book of Job:


Jehovah said to Satan: you moved Me against him to destroy him without cause; Job 2:3,  or, you "badgered" me into doing something to Job that I had no reason to do.
  • How does this statement fit into the picture that theology has taught about Jehovah?  
  • How does this agree with the idea that God is always in complete control?
Satan answered Jehovah and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man has he will give for his life. 2:4.   It is interesting to see the different opinions that Bible commentaries have on this verse.

The sense will be clear if we translate it "Hide for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for himself." The hide of an animal, lion or sheep, which a man wears for clothing will be given up to save his own body. Expositors Bible Commentary.  A man would rather go around naked than lose his life. 


If a man's head or his eyes are in danger, he will lift up his hand or his arm, and expose that in order to save the other; ... and so it may in this sense; and mean the skin of his hand, as a shield for the skin of his head or eye. Gill's Bible Commentary.


A man willingly gives up another’s skin (life) for his own skin (life). So Job might bear the loss of his children, etc., with equanimity, so long as he remained unhurt himself. Jamieson, Fausset and Brown.


Misguided Instructions



His wife said to him, Do you still hold to your integrity? Curse God and die! 2:9 Modern King James.

However, in contrast, notice the same lengthy verse in Brenton's English Septuagint Version.

And when much time had passed, his wife said to him, How long wilt thou hold out, saying, Behold, I wait yet a little while, expecting the hope of my deliverance? for, behold, thy memorial is abolished from the earth, (everything by which people measured your importance is gone) even thy sons and daughters, the pangs and pains of my womb which I bore in vain with sorrows; (In this version she rightfully decries the death of her children.  In the book of Job that most of us know, her right to mourn the death of her ten children is not even alluded to) and thou thyself sittest down to spend the nights in the open air among the corruption of worms, and I am a wanderer and a servant from place to place and house to house, waiting for the setting of the sun, that I may rest from my labours and my pangs which now beset me. She has become a domestic servant, looking for work wherever she might find it.  She is obligated to work till the setting of the sun. Job 2:9.

She says to her loving husband, but say some word against the Lord, and die. 2:9.  If you would simply curse Jehovah, He would punish you with death and you would be set free from your agony.  

Of Job the Bible says, that man was perfect and upright, and one who feared God and turned aside from evil. 1:1.  Still, the first of Job's three comforters came up with this "brilliant" bit of false theology;
  • Remember, please, who ever perished, being innocent? 4:7 Modern King James.  
  • No truly innocent person has ever died young. 4:7 Contemporary English.  
Job could see past his friend's theology, and said Right words are powerful, but what does your arguing argue? 6:25.  You say that I am suffering because I am guilty; I purpose this idea, Oh that my grief were but weighed, and my ruin laid in the balances together! For now it (my ruin) would be heavier than the sand of the sea; 6:2-3.

Another translation makes it very clear O that my sins, whereby I have deserved wrath, and the calamity that I suffer, were weighed in a balance. If I have to pay for my sins by suffering, justice has already extracted more than what is fair. Darby's Version.

Is there not a warfare to man on earth? Are people not born to fight a difficult battle?  Now that Job has given up on regaining his health, with Saint Paul he says, I have fought the good fight. 2 Tim. 4:7.

Are not his days also like the days of a hireling?  A hireling is a servant who was hired to perform a certain task, and when that task was finished his position was terminated, so, with Paul, in sorrow Job says, I have finished the course. 2 Tim. 4:7.

As a servant earnestly desires the shadow; the shades of night, to get some rest, just so Job is anticipating death, and just as surely as a hireling looks for his wages Job is expecting the appropriate remuneration for having lived an upright life.  Job 7:1-2.  Later, Saint Paul echos Job's words, Now there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that Day; and not to me only, but also to all those who love His appearing. 2 Tim. 4:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment